DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS IN WESTERN HIMALAYAS AND CENTRAL INDIA
- Farmers in Western Himalayas located at a height of 6000 to 8000 feet above sea level are being encouraged to grow organic herbs & vegetables during the summer month
- Forest areas which are rich in natural/organic agricultural projects in Madhya Pradesh, Chattishgarh & Karnataka proposed to be certified
- Forest to be made a source of procurement for marginal communities solely dependent on it
- In the coastal areas, Goa is being considered as a base for off season production as well as specially spice production.
These projects will be taken forward from April 2008 onwards.
EASTERN HIMALAYAN PROJECT
- This project is to be initiated in Sikkim and the North Eastern states, includes tea growing from small and marginal farmers on 1 to 5 hectares each.
- The proposal will have comprehensive approach from preparing the land, planting of tea bushes to manufacturing & packaging of tea.
- This project will also develop source for ginger, cardamom & cinnamom.
- Speciality fruits (like kiwi and passion fruit) will be sourced from the range as well.